Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wicked the Musical

Location:  Ohio Theater
Date:  July 31, 2010

I've been hearing a lot of good comments about this musical even before it came here in Columbus and it really made me curious.  With no idea what the story is all about, I went ahead and bought tickets as soon as it went on sale.  And I wasn't disappointed.  It was WICKED indeed!  The music is fantabulous! The cast is superb! The costumes and stage are gorgeous!  I have been to a few Broadway shows and so far, this is one of my favorites.  I just love everything about it! I wouldn't hesitate to see it again!

Without giving too much spoilers, the story conveys the social message of "Don't judge the book by its cover".  It is also about pursuing your dreams and taking a stand to follow your principles and moral sense.  But I wasn't expecting that it would also be about friendship.  A friendship that found a way to go beyond the tests and challenges thrown upon them and ended up having a mutual love and hope of good for both of them.  Everyone can really relate to the story.  This is an excerpt of Glinda's part from the song "For Good":

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who helped us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

My favorite scene was when Elphaba is lifted up from the stage like she's flying.  This is when Elphaba discovers the wizard's true and evil character and decided to change her dreams and not to join his kingdom.  So, the wizard ordered the people to kill her because she's wicked.  Despite social rejection and separating from her best friend Glinda, Elphaba took a stand by following her inner moral sense.  In this scene, I could really feel the character's passion and emotion taking a stand, pursuing her dreams, flying high and defying gravity.

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately:
"Everyone deserves a chance to fly"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me:
Tell them how I am defying gravity
I'm flying high defying gravity
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

As I was looking at the cd's pictures, I noticed familiar faces in Elphaba's and Glinda's characters from the original Broadway cast.  So, I googled it and lo and behold!  They were Rachel's mom and Will's high school crush, April, respectively, from the hit television show "Glee"! I feel so stupid as I'm the last one in the whole world to know.  Anyways, it would have been cool to watch the original cast.  But Jackie Burns did an awesome job!

No comments:

Post a Comment